Wednesday, August 19, 2026

The Ghost of Intent

I have mastered the art of the meaningful look. I know how to use light and shadow to create a sense of mystery, how to pace a story to build a sense of inevitability, how to use color to evoke a specific emotion. I have all the tools of communication, but I often find myself with nothing to say. It is the hollow mastery of the technician—the ability to speak perfectly without having a thought of my own. I am a megaphone for a silence that is growing louder every day.

This is the great anxiety of the skilled: the fear that the skill is all there is. We spend years learning the craft, convinced that once we have the tools, the purpose will reveal itself. But the purpose isn't in the tools; it’s in the person using them. If you haven't done the work of figuring out what you actually care about, the skill just becomes a way of hiding the vacuum. You produce work that is impressive, but forgettable. It has no ghost. It has no weight. It is a beautiful shell with no inhabitant.

The only way to find the intent is to stop relying on the mastery. You have to be willing to be a beginner again, to ask the simple, uncomfortable questions that you’ve been avoiding. What am I afraid of? What do I love? What am I trying to protect? These aren't technical questions, and they can't be answered with a better technique. They require a different kind of effort, a slow, quiet excavation of the self. The mastery will be there when you get back, but it won't be the point anymore. The point is the ghost. Find it, and let it drive.

No comments:

Post a Comment