Every time I decide where a line should end, I am making a claim about what matters. It sounds dramatic, but in the quiet of the workspace, every aesthetic decision carries a hidden weight. To choose one color over another is to prioritize one truth over a thousand others. It is an act of exclusion. We often treat these choices as mere matters of taste, but they are actually the building blocks of our internal integrity. If I compromise on the small things for the sake of ease, I am slowly eroding the ground I stand on.
The danger is in the subtle lie—the stroke that is meant to hide a lack of vision, the clever flourish that distracts from a hollow center. We tell ourselves these are just tricks of the trade, but they are small betrayals of the trust we have with ourselves. When the work is shared, it becomes a bargain. We are trading a piece of our private sanctuary for a moment of public connection. If that piece is built on a lie, the connection is also a lie. It’s a transaction that leaves us feeling poorer, even if we get exactly what we asked for.
Maintaining that standard of honesty is exhausting. It requires a constant, uncomfortable questioning of our own motives. Am I doing this because it’s right, or because it’s expected? The world doesn't care about the ethics of your process; it only cares about the result. But you have to live with the process. You are the only one who knows where the seams are hidden. If you want the work to have any real gravity, you have to treat every minor detail as if it were a matter of life and death. Because, in a way, the life of your spirit depends on it.
No comments:
Post a Comment