Everything I know, I was told. The way I frame a thought, the way I judge a finished thought, even the way I hold the pen—it all belongs to the voices of those who came before. There is a comfort in that inheritance, a sense of being part of a long, unbroken chain. But eventually, the weight of their expectations begins to feel like a slow suffocation. To find a voice that isn't just an echo, I have to commit a kind of quiet violence against my own history. I have to stop asking for their permission in my mind.
It feels like a betrayal, doesn't it? To take the very tools they gave you and use them to dismantle their monuments. You carry their warnings like stones in your pockets. They told you what was beautiful and what was waste. Now, you are standing at the edge of the map they drew, realizing that the most interesting things are happening in the white spaces they ignored. To step out there is to admit that they were limited, and in doing so, you have to admit that you are alone. The safety of the lineage is a ghost you have to stop chasing if you want to breathe.
This isn't about rejection for the sake of rebellion; it’s about survival. If you keep painting with their brushes, you will only ever see their world. The struggle is to find the point where their wisdom ends and your necessity begins. It is an uncomfortable transition, marked by a sense of profound guilt. You feel like a thief who has stolen the fire and doesn't know how to keep it lit. Yet, it is only in this cold, dark space that you might finally see a light that isn't a reflection of someone else's sun. The architect must fall so the inhabitant can finally move the furniture.
No comments:
Post a Comment