I have spent years building a house on the shifting sands of other people's opinions. When the applause is loud, the walls feel sturdy. I walk through the rooms with a sense of belonging, convinced that I have finally arrived. But as soon as the room goes quiet, the floorboards begin to creak. I realize that my confidence isn't something I own; it’s something I’ve rented. It is a borrowed certainty that evaporates the moment the light of external validation is turned off.
Why is it so hard to trust the work when no one is watching? We tell ourselves we create for the sake of the act, but our eyes are always darting toward the door, waiting for the witness. This fragility is a heavy burden. It turns every creative choice into a gamble for approval. Instead of asking what the piece needs, we ask what the world wants. We become experts at reading the room, but we’ve forgotten how to read our own hearts. The foundation is made of paper, and every silence feels like a storm that might knock it all down.
True stability doesn't come from the accumulation of praise, but from the realization that the act itself is the only necessity. It’s about forging a sense of self in the heat of the struggle, rather than finding it in the cool glow of a compliment. This shift is terrifying because it means letting go of the safety net. It means being okay with the possibility that what you make might never be understood. But there is a strange, cold freedom in that isolation. When you stop building for the witness, you can finally start building something that actually stands on its own. The house might be smaller, but at least the ground is solid.
No comments:
Post a Comment